- Dr. Denise L. Spitzer
- Ms. Aimee Beboso, Carleton University Filipino Students’ Association, Ottawa, www.reocities.com/Paris/fontaine/7616/
- Dr. Sara Torres, Postdoctoral Fellow at the Institut de recherché en santé publique de l'Université de Montréal (IRSPUM)
- Rochelle Wee Eng
- Marian Sanchez
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council via the Pathways to Prosperity Program
RESEARCH QUESTIONS: What are the learning needs of prospective, current, and former live-in caregivers throughout their trajectory from temporary foreign worker to permanent resident? What did live-in caregivers learn in their pre-departure orientation programs? What information might be useful to them at their current stage in their integration trajectory? What are their preferences for program delivery (including format, timing, and content)? How does the content of the pre-departure orientation programs offered to LCP workers in the Philippines compare with the perceived needs of prospective, current, and former live-in caregivers?
METHODS: Working in collaboration with community members through the application of participatory research approaches, two focus groups (FGs) will be conducted in the Philippines with 8-10 prospective LCP workers, and three focus groups will be conducted in the Ottawa-Gatineau region with 8-10 current and former LCP workers. The curricular content and delivery of pre-departure programs for overseas Filipino workers will be explored using a mixed methods approach, including document analysis of program policies and materials, a review of the literature on these programs, and participant observation.
- Preliminary recommendations for policy and pre-departure orientation program refinements based on an analysis of the gaps between the expressed needs of LCP workers at various stages of their migration trajectories, and current practice in orientation program delivery.
- Development of a larger proposal for funding that would incorporate more sites of investigation and a greater array of key informants.
- Observing the COA for Live-In Caregivers.” Spitzer, D. L. (2015). Canada Orientation Abroad Newsletter, Citizenship and Immigration Canada. http://www.coa-oce.ca/observing-the-coa-seminar-for-live-in-caregivers/
- Canadian Orientation Abroad Program, International Organization on Migration (IOM), Manila, the Philippines, July 28, 2015
- Philippine Overseas Employment Administration, POEA, Manila, the Philippines, July 29, 2015